March 2, 2011

"The Emergency Money"

The dress, the perfect man, the hair, the makeup, the flowers, the cake….every girl has her special day all planned out well before she has a sparkling ring on her finger. I know I did. My heart was broken when a friend of mine got engaged and shortly after realized that this would not be the fairy tale day she had dreamed of since she was a little girl. Why? all because of that lame thing we call money. Heartbroken I knew I had to do something, however I myself was lacking in the money department. Having no help or support from her family and giving up on her dream wedding happening, some girl friends and I put our heads together and came up with a plan.

We decided that we would go door to door and try to raise money for her big day. We are going to try to raise as much as possible and then surprise her and present her with money and some help with planning for her big day.

So tonight was the first night. My two girl friends and myself went out for an hour and a half and collected…..DRUMROLL…….150.00!! We were ecstatic! But it wasn't just the money that made me feel all warm inside it was some of the people we came across.

While knocking we came to an apartment with a sweet little couple sitting on the couch enjoying an Asian sitcom of some sort. After hearing them yell “come in” we entered and explained as to why we were there. The girl quickly got up and began searching in her purse; she stopped for a moment, looked at her boyfriend and said, “The emergency money”. She grabbed the keys and headed out to the car. While she was gone I talked to him more about the situation and he shared with me that they understand and that in their culture if you chose a different religion or view than your families that you too will have no support and will be cut off from their lives.

The emergency money. Even though it was just a few dollars, it was their emergency money and they were willing to sacrifice and give of it for another person in need. I just love and adore people like that. Who are willing to give when they too have little all just because they understand and have too been there. Everything about this couple made me smile. The world needs more people like them.

I cannot wait to see the look on her face when we are able to present her with the money and help that she is in need of. Every girl needs to feel beautiful and feel like a bride on that special day; even if it just means a dress, bouquet, and the perfect man at her side. But most importantly I am thankful for meeting sweet people along the way that are there to teach you a little something when you least expect it.


2 comments:

Ani said...

Hey nell belle i love you lots and I'm so glad you ladies got to collect money!!! I'm going to post this in my blog I hope it's okay!!!
love yo siste in law!!!

Jennelle Marie said...

Yeah thats totally fine! I love you!!

Post a Comment